I’m an Assistant Professor at the University of South-Eastern Norway, and a PhD candidate at the Language and Speech Laboratory (LASLAB) in the University of the Basque Country, Spain. I teach courses in the areas of English Linguistics and English Didactics, and I do research in the fields of Multilingualism and Cognitive Linguistics.
My research interests lie on the language acquisition processes leading to bilingualism and multilingualism. Especially intriguing is the interaction of several languages in the mind of a speaker and its effects in conceptual representation, communication, and cognition. The crucial question guiding my curiosity is the following one: how does previously acquired linguistic and conceptual knowledge influence the acquisition and use of a new language?
The focus of my doctoral work involves native speakers of Norwegian and their particular language combination of L1 Norwegian, L2 English, and L3 Spanish. While Norwegians are famously acknowledged as excellent L2 English speakers, little has been said about their performance in Spanish as a foreign language, which is massively studied in the country since 2006. With close to 90,000 students every year, Spanish is currently the most chosen language in Norway at all levels of education, a fact which calls for a better understanding of the phenomena involved.
Main areas of interest
Linguistics – Multilingualism – Cognition – Semantics – Foreign Language Acquisition – Usage-based approaches to language acquisition – Cognitive Linguistics – Crosslinguistic Influence – Conceptual Transfer – English Didactics
Professional positions and affiliations
- Assistant professor at the Department of Languages and Literature Studies, University of South-Eastern Norway. 2019 – currently.
- Guest researcher at the iUIBS – Biopoética, Semiótica Cognitiva y Neuroestética research group, University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. 2019-currently.
- Affiliate member of MultiLing (Center for Multilingualism in Society across the Lifespan) at University of Oslo, Norway, since September 2018.
- Teacher of English at Setskog Oppvekstsenter, Aurskog-Høland, Norway. 2015-2019.
- Teacher of Spanish and English at Eidsvoll Videregående Skole, Eidsvoll, Norway. 2012-2015.
- Translator and editor at VMtranslator, Las Palmas, Spain. 2008-2012.
- Teacher of Spanish at Den Norske Skole, Las Palmas, Spain. 2010-2011.
- Research Assistant at the Faculty of Philology in University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain. 2009-2010.
- Teacher of English at Colegio Arenas Sur, Las Palmas, Spain. 2007-2008.
- Teacher of Spanish at Comberton Village College, Cambridge, UK. 2006-2007.
- Spanish language assistant at Carisbrooke High School, Newport, UK. 2005-2006.
- Spanish language assistant at Medina College, Newport, UK. 2005-2006.
- PhD Candidate in Language Acquisition in Multilingual Settings at Language and Speech Laboratory, University of the Basque Country, Spain. 2015-2021.
- Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) in Modern Languages, CILT (The National Centre for Languages), London, UK. 2007.
- Master of Advanced Studies (MASt) in English Philology, program in Cognitive Linguistics, University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain. 2006.
- BA in English Philology, University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain. 2003.
Presentations, lectures, seminars, conferences
- Conceptual transfer in the expression of emotions. WIP. RaAM 2020. Inland Norway University of Applied Sciences, Norway. June 2020.
- Elicitation of narratives for research on crosslinguistic influence and conceptual transfer. PhD seminar at University of Oslo, Norway. September 2018.
- Conceptual challenges in the production of L3 Spanish by L1 Norwegian + L2 English speakers: the case of motion verbs. NoSLiP 2018, 3rd Norwegian Graduate Student Conference in Linguistics and Philology. University of Oslo, Norway. 2018. Abstract.
- El uso de narraciones para estudiar la influencia interlingüística en la producción de aprendices noruegos de español como L3. ANPA VI, Oslo, Norway. 2017. PDF.
- Crosslinguistic Influence in the production of L3 Spanish by L1 Norwegian + L2 English speakers. PhD seminar at University of Oslo, Norway. August 2017.
- Conceptual Transfer in the Written Production of Spanish (L3) by Speakers of Norwegian (L1) + English (L2). A Cognitive Approach to the Study of Crosslinguistic Influence. PhD seminar at University of Oslo, Norway. March 2017.
- An Introduction to Multilingualism. Eidsvoll Videregående Skole. Eidsvoll, Norway. 2017
- Multilingualism in the Classroom. Setskog Oppvekstsenter, Aurskog-Høland, Norway. 2016.
- Language and Cognition. Eidsvoll Videregående Skole. Eidsvoll, Norway. 2015.
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language. Setskog Oppvekstsenter, Aurskog-Høland, Norway. 2014.
- Figure and Ground Distinctions in Language Use. University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain. 2010.
- A Proposal for a Cognitive Semantics Study of the Literary Atmosphere. University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain. 2009.
- The Europass Language Passport. Colegio Arenas Sur, Las Palmas, Spain. 2008.
- Manteiga, V. (2019). El uso de narraciones para estudiar la influencia interlingüística en la producción de aprendices noruegos de español como L3. Nordic Journal of Modern Language Methodology, 7(2), 89–119. http://dx.doi.org/10.46364/njmlm.v7i2.665. Download PDF.
- Guerra, J., Nuez Placeres, G. de la, Martín Dueñas, A., Lema Quintana, M. P., & Manteiga, V. (2009). The Real Way We Think What They Think: New Cognitive Poetics and Linguistics in the English Literature Studies (ELS) in Spain. ES: Revista de Filología Inglesa, 85–103. Download PDF.